“Contemporary craft is about making things. It is an intellectual and physical activity where the maker explores the infinite possibilities of materials and processes to produce unique objects.” Rosy Greenless, Director, Crafts Council, UK.
108 | Contemporary showcases fine, handmade contemporary craft in a wide range of media including glass, paper, ceramics, fiber, metals, mixed media and wood.
- To preserve Oklahoma’s cultural traditions – Through Oklahoma’s rich Native American culture comes a legacy of beadwork, leatherwork, pottery, rugs, basketry and jewelry, all beautifully exhibited by two local gems, the Gilcrease and Philbrook Museums. 108 | Contemporary honors the diversity of cultures in Oklahoma by forming a community of artists and spotlighting the contemporary expressions of their cultural traditions.
- To commit single-mindedly to fine craft – 108 | Contemporary is the only non-profit organization in Oklahoma dedicated exclusively to contemporary fine craft.
- To nurture local artists – Oklahoma schools develop a wealth of creative talent. Recognizing the importance of this valuable resource, 108 | Contemporary is working to establish an audience and market for these artists to keep them living and working in Tulsa.
- To stimulate the imagination of children – In these economically restrained times, public art education is the first to suffer. 108 | Contemporary will enhance those educational arts programs especially needed for underserved kids and their teachers.
- Provide exhibition space for the highest level of innovative contemporary fine craft from Oklahoma and around the world.
- Offer workshops, lectures and video presentations to audiences of all ages.
- Develop reciprocal artist-in-residence programs with other craft organizations around the country.
- Establish a juried retail shop for member artists’ work.
- Award artist grants.
- Proved educational arts programs for under-served students and teachers.
See our yearly progress at 108|Contemporary.